"Submitting oneself to a local church is what a true believer does, just like a true believer pursues good works, loves his or her neighbour, and so forth. - Jonathan Leeman"
At our church we believe, desire, teach, and expect baptized believers to belong to a local church. We demonstrate this conviction through the practice of church membership. In membership, the church publicly covenants with individuals and individuals with the church.
Membership Covenant Highlights
As a member of HBC, we will expect you to:
– demonstrate Christian love in all your relationships and strive to lead a godly life
– assemble regularly with the church at worship and prayer
– respect and submit to the spiritual authorities of our church
– contribute to support our ministries
– pray for and help the family of God at Hespeler Baptist Church.
As a member of Hespeler Baptist Church, you can expect us to:
– be your friends and family
– encourage you and to assist you in times of sickness and distress
– pray for you, love you and support you
– grow with you in our faith and knowledge of Christ
– be ready at His second coming as servants well pleasing to Him.
We believe membership ought to be meaningful and see it fleshed out in the following 4 ways:
– we will affirm you in the gospel
– we will oversee you in the gospel
– we will engage you in the work of the gospel
– we will guard you and the gospel.
Benefits of Meaningful Membership:
Why become a member? If membership in the local church is truly meaningful, it is mutually beneficial:
For elders: Meaningful membership provides a clear picture of who they are to watch over as those who will give an account to God.
For the congregation: Meaningful membership provides a clear, public picture of who is committed to the local church and who the local church is committed to.
For you: Meaningful membership commits you, commits others to you, provides you with the spiritual protection of elders, and provides you with the comfort of knowing that a whole group of people would rather remove you from membership than tolerate unrepentant sin! Given the deceitfulness of sin, this is an encouraging reality!
For the watching world: “Meaningful membership is important because it is the only way for a church to corporately tell the truth about God and the gospel.”
The only satisfying explanation for why we live this way and how we are able to live this is way is that the transforming power of the gospel is real, that Jesus Christ did come to earth, die on a cross, save us from God’s wrath, rise from the dead, ascend into heaven, and will one day return.