A milestone was reached this past Sunday during our pre-service Sunday School hour. After our Sunday School instructors finished teaching from the book of Malachi, at 10:15am, it was official: we had completed our trek through the Old Testament! The journey began on January 8, 2017 and was completed on January 27, 2019. Praise God for the 70+ lessons that we have sat under as we journeyed from Genesis to Malachi!
Here is a look at where we have been over the last two years:
- The Story Begins (Volume 1) brought us through the book of Genesis; a book detailing God as the Creator of the heavens and the earth, the fall of man into sin, the spread of sin, and God’s covenant of grace with Abraham.
- God Delivers (Volume 2) took us through the rest of the Pentateuch (Exodus to Deuteronomy) and highlighted God’s rescue of His people from the hands of the Egyptians, the Law given at Mount Sinai and the wilderness wanderings of Israel.
- The Promised Land (Volume 3) introduced us to the books of Joshua, Judges and Ruth. This volume showed us the conquests of the Israelites as they took the land, the consequences for they faced for not extracting the pagan nations from the land, and the depressing cycle of the Judges.
- A Kingdom Established (Volume 4) focused on the historical books (Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles), and highlighted the reign of imperfect kings like David and Solomon, and God’s covenant with his servant King David.
- Prophets and Kings (Volume 5) detailed the intersection of various prophets and kings and the exile to Babylon.
- Exile and Return (Volume 6) brought us through exilic and post-exilic books like Daniel, Esther, Ezra and Nehemiah.
As we look ahead at the next two years we invite you to join us as we teach through the New Testament. Over the next nine weeks we will have nine different men teach through the opening chapters of the Gospels.
We encourage you to join us as we learn from the Word of God and sit under the teaching of these capable instructors. Take a look at the schedule and plan to join us in Centennial Hall (across from the kitchen) at 9:30am, Sunday mornings. Please pray along with us as we ask the Lord to bless the teaching of His Word as we begin this new journey!
February 3 – From Abraham to Jesus (Matthew 1:1-17) Mike Putt
February 10 – Mary Praises the Covenant-Keeping God (Luke 1:26-38, 46-55) Kris Kinsinger
February 17 – God Becomes a Baby (Luke 2:1-20; Matthew 2:1-12) Scott Kinsinger
February 24 – Jesus in His Father’s House (Luke 2:40-52) Bob Cates
March 3 – The Son of God is Baptized (Matthew 3:1-17) Mike Stocks
March 10 – The Son of God is Tempted (Matthew 4:1-11) Jon Hufnagel
March 17 – Jesus Calls the First Disciples (Matthew 4:17-22; 9:9-13) Jon Loewen
March 24 – Nicodemus and the New Birth (John 3:1-21) Jonathan Rudd
March 31 – Jesus and John the Baptist (John 3:22-36) John Okrafka